Hello and welcome!

Simple, wholesome recipes from family and friends, sprinkled with love on every bite.
Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest so we can share!

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Crumb Cake

Crumb Cake goes back in my family as far as I can remember. Every year when my mother asked what I wanted for my birthday dinner it was always the same, "Spaghetti and Crumb Cake".  My father has been requesting a Birthday Crumb Cake for several years now and Saturday I tweaked our family recipe, only adding to the heavenly taste!  Happy Birthday Daddy!

2 c sugar
2 c flour
1 c shortening

Mix these 3 ingredients until it becomes course crumbs. Remove 1 cup and set aside for topping.
--------
Add 2 eggs and beat until smooth.
--------


1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
 2 tsp nutmeg
 2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk (or make sour milk with 1 TBSP vinegar and milk)
a pinch of love

Mix these together with batter, pour into a greased and floured  9 x 13 cake pan.  Sprinkle the saved cup of crumbs on top of batter.  Bake @ 375 35-40 min.