Hello and welcome!

Simple, wholesome recipes from family and friends, sprinkled with love on every bite.
Follow me on Facebook and Pinterest so we can share!

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Freezing Corn

There is nothing like having fresh corn in the middle of winter and for as long as I can remember it's been a tradition in our family. Recently my father told me that when he was a boy they didn't have electricity so his mother would dry the corn and store it for the winter.  Before cooking the corn she would place it in a pan of water for a few hours to hydrate. Eventually, my grandparents got electricity but didn't have a refrigerator with a freezer large enough to store processed food.
When I was a child my father usually had a garden and would grow and freeze the corn. Sometimes he would purchase corn from local farmers and that's what I started doing when my children were small. There were times when we processed 7 dozen and would then share with our family.

A couple weeks ago I purchased 2 dozen ears of corn and ended up with 6 bags. That will be enough for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinner!

All you need is corn, a large pan, sharp knife, a butter knife and zip-lock freezer bags.

1. Husk and then rinse the silk off the corn.
2. Place a few ears in boiling water.
3. Bring back to boil for 10-12 minutes.
4. Remove from water and cool.
5. Repeat using the same pan of water.
6. Slice the kernels into a pan (I found the bundt pan idea on Pinterest).
7. With a butter knife scrape off the remaining corn.













8. Stir to break up corn.
9. Spoon into freezer bags.
10. Label and date with permanent marker

To Prepare
1. Thaw a bag of corn. NEVER microwave food in a plastic bag!
2. Place corn in a microwave safe dish or skillet.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add a tbsp of butter and a pinch of love.
4. Heat and eat!